The Picturesque of the Beautiful Taal Volcano
Tagaytay is one of the best places to visit in the Philippines. Like Baguio, it is considered as a highland city in the province of Cavite. It has breathtaking sceneries to feast our eyes onto and the environment has a cool climate. What made this place a famous tourist destination is because of the view of the Taal Volcano which is surrounded by a lake. Going here from Manila is easy because it is relatively close from the capital.
A Volcano and an Island
Taal Volcano is one complex volcano in the Philippines. It is also considered as the second most active and having 33 eruptions being documented since 1572. The greatest eruption that the Taal volcano had was in the year 1754 which lasted from May 15 to December 1. This eruption was recorded in narrative by a parish priest of Sala, Fr. Buencuchillo who was stationed at Taal at that time.
All the eruptions that happened were concentrated on the volcano island near the middle of Taal Lake. The Taal Lake partially filled the Taal Caldera which was formed from the prehistoric eruptions that happened between 140,000 to 5,380 BP. The Taal Volcano and the lake is a breathtaking picture on top of the Tagaytay Ridge.
A learning and informative fact for everybody, all volcanoes in the Philippines are part of the Pacific Ring of Fire.
Since 1977, the PHILVOLCS (Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology) regularly reports about the Taal Volcano’s activity and it has shown no signs of being active.
Other Places of Interest in Tagaytay
- Japanese Friendship Garden – A Garden constructed symbolizing the value of freedom, peace and unity.
- People’s park in the Sky – A man-made attraction built in the highest point of the Tagaytay Highlands. It overlooks the Taal Lake, Balayan Bay, Laguna de Bay and Manila Bay.
- Pink Sister’s Convent – The Adoration Convent of Divine Mercy houses nuns praying 24/7 and people can see them praying in silence behind the glass and bars of the Pink Sister’s Chapel.
- Tagaytay Highlands – An exclusive recreational and residential complex located at the Southeast of Mt. Sungay.
- Tagaytay Picnic Grove – This is the perfect playground to come to when you are in Tagaytay. The picnic grove is a vast park that features recreational activities such as zipline, horseback riding, eco-trail boardwalk, cable cars and restaurant.
Going to Taal and Tagaytay
The city is very near to Manila hence it is easy for Manilenyos to escape via South Luzon Expressway. The travel would only take about an hour and 15 minutes from SLEX and exiting Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Road. On a daily basis, people can take public transport like buses.